Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A Blast from the Past

I started these socks last summer -- they are the Mermaid Socks from Lucy Neatby's Cool Socks Warm Feet. Blithely ignoring her instructions to swatch, I cast on the multiple of six that is closest to my "usual" sock cast-on. So I went round and round on 66 stitches, did the heel, and started the foot. Tried it on -- way too tight. Ripped it out, did the gauge swatch and some calculations, and started again on 78 stitches. So far, so good. I think I've done about 40 rows today (safety pins mark every 10th row).

Now I'm wondering about doing some modifications -- in the pattern, the spiral rib thing goes all the way around the sock, including the foot. I think I'm going to experiment and see what happens if I do stockinette on 36 sts and the rib on the other 42 (it's a 6-stitch repeat).
The yarn is Regia Cotton Surf Color, color 5412, in case you were wondering.

Oh, and no yarn in the mailbox today.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I love your socks. They are absolutely gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I love your socks too! I just ordered the yarn for the kauni sweater - I hope I ordered it correctly. Did you order 2 skeins of the same color? That's what I did, and I had to use a German to English translation converter to order the yarn, but it looks beautiful!