Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Hmm? Wot is zis?

It's a dishcloth! Started it last night (only the cast-on and part of the 1st row) and finished it a couple of minutes ago. It's the ballband dishcloth from Mason-Dixon Knitting; if you don't have the book, the pattern is also printed inside the label on Peaches & Creme cotton yarn, available at your local Wal-Mart. Obviously, a very quick little project. Why did I do it? I started it thinking I could work on it at my son's baseball game without looking too weird, then didn't even touch it -- not that the game was that fascinating.



This is 2 lb. 13 oz. of sportweight superwash black wool/nylon for socks. I joined Socks for Soldiers last week, and this is what I'm going to use. It just came in today's mail, ordered from Chamomile Connection. Now I have to figure out what size needles to use, and how on earth to handle this huge honkin' skein. I'm thinking I'll see if it will fit on my swift, and just knit one sock with the yarn on the swift. Weigh the sock, then wind off balls of yarn about that weight. I'll let you know how that goes. The group's founder is a mom with a son in the Air Force, and she has set a goal of getting 100,000 pair of hand-knit socks to our military members overseas. She's asking everyone to spend 20 minutes a day working on a Big Black Sock -- I'm thinking about actually timing myself to see how many 20 minute sessions it will take to make a sock.


Yesterday I was listening to Cast On, blithely knitting away on the Manos block. At the end of the podcast, I measured my square, and I had made it too long! I had to rip out only two rows, though, and started the next square. Le voila:

No comments: