Thursday, October 19, 2006

Sweaters

"So," says our local postmistress, handing me yet another box of yarn, "do you knit sweaters, ...?" As she trails off, I blithely answer, "Sweaters, socks, lots of stuff!"
To which she responds, "I'm asking because I don't think I've ever seen you wearing a sweater you've made."
Pause.
Hmm.
"Well, to tell you the truth, I guess I haven't made very many sweaters. Mostly socks & shawls, parts of afghans. This yarn that just came today is for a shawl, but it's a heavier yarn. It'll be more like a blanket-weight."

I have resisted winding that yarn and casting on for the shawl (all will be revealed in due time!). I am trying to reduce the long list of works in progress. I finished the lace scarf mentioned in the last post. I have finished a pair of Big Black Socks for Socks for Soldiers, and they are currently in the wash. I still have 4 pair of socks in various stages, 2 scarves, 4 shawls/stoles, one sleeveless top (Sizzle), the Manos afghan, and more! But I want to make sweaters, now! To make it worse, I saw a preview of the Winter Interweave Knits, and there are 3 sweaters I like.

There are 2 sweaters on needles, stuffed behind the couch with the rest of the unfinished projects. One of them is barely started; the other may be mostly done. It's the 2nd go-round for this yarn. It has already been a sweater once, which I wore a couple of times & decided I didn't like. So I took it apart, and this pattern is the 2nd chance for this yarn. It is Classic Elite Waterspun Weekend, a very bulky and now discontinued yarn. I should dig it out and see about getting it finished.

No comments: